Sunday, April 27, 2014

UBS Cycle The Circuit 2013

Recently a friend asked me what made me start a blog. I told her because I have a lot of stories to tell and this is one of them... My UBS Cycle the Circuit 2013 experience.

Somewhere in early September 2013, Straits Times held a "STAR" - Straits Times Appreciate Readers contest. 10 readers will win a chance to cycle around the 5.073-km track with triple Tour de France Green Jersey winner Robbie McEwen on 22 September, the morning of the Grand Prix.

This was the photo I sent for this contest.


I received an email on 17 September, congratulating me for being selected! I was elated! It was certainly an experience of a lifetime to cycle on the Marina Bay F1 Street Circuit! I collected my exclusive cycling kit from UBS the following day.


The kit consists of a cycling jersey, a matching cycling pants, water bottle, helmet cover, gloves and a bag. We had to wear these items for the ride. On top of that, we get to invite a supporter to a Breakfast Buffet in Ritz Carlton after the ride. UBS was kind enough to allow me to bring 3 and I brought my gals along :)


Reporting time was 6 a.m. The ride started at 7 a.m. and we had to finish 2 laps of 5.073km before 8 a.m. The atmosphere was very high even though the cyclists had to register very early. The hospitality was fantastic. Not long after I had registered, I realised that everyone seems to know everyone. I later made some friends and found out that this was an exclusive event organized by UBS for their corporate clients. UBS had partnered with ST to as part of its STAR program to reach out to the community. There were a total of about 160 riders in this event and I was ONE of the lucky ones!


My family joined me for breakfast and I had an opportunity to take a picture with Robbie McEwen, triple Tour de France Green Jersey winner. I was so "buay paiseh"; I went on stage to take a podium finisher pic :) Now I can say that I went on the podium before....


The organizer was very thoughtful. There were 2 roving caricature artistes during breakfast and these were what we brought home. They did one for my gals also :)


ST covered the event the following day.


Cycling on the F1 circuit was certainly an experience that no money can buy. I counted myself super lucky to have been selected.

This pic from RunKeeper was a "proof" that I really rode on the Marina Bay Street Circuit :p

No comments:

Post a Comment