Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Be Prepared For Wet Weather

I try to do 2 rides in a week. One on a weekday night and another on a weekend morning. Last Saturday we met 6 a.m. for our usual ride from the West to the East. The plan was to cycle from VivoCity to NSRCC and back. However, it started to pour when we reached Garden by the Bay.

As there was lightning alert, we stopped for a break. Finally we made our way to Mr Teh Tarik at East Coast Park for refueling. The weather was bad that morning. We had no choice but to brave through the rain and cycled back to the West.


The rain was merciless!!! It started to pour heavily when we reach Fort Road. Initially I was trying to avoid the puddle on the floor, but there was really no need to avoid splashes at all. We had them coming from bottom, left, right and the top! We stopped at Fullerton Bay for a breather. And quickly resumed our cycling back to VivoCity. It was an experience riding in a storm :) My bike and I survivied!


The weather in Singapore is unpredictable. As I use the Runkeeper app to keep track of my workouts, I always carry my phone in the back pocket of my jersey... in a ziplock bag


I bought these, 20 in a box, for $2 from Daiso. My phone survived the sudden downpour and remained dry after my ride. On normal days, it will keep my phone dry from the perspiration that  seep through my jersey. This is a cheap and effective solution :)

For those of you looking for a saddle bag, I do recommend the Wedge DryBag from Topeak, that comes in S, M, L sizes.


It protects my belonging while riding in wet conditions. The DryWedge pack is made from a tough, waterproof material, which is sonically welded and seam sealed to provide the ultimate protection in nasty weather. Roll closure keeps water and mud out and contents dry. Mounts to saddle rails and seat post with a nylon strap system. Best of all, mine came free with my bike from Rodalink :)

Do check the weather forecast before you head out for your next workout :)

2 comments:

  1. Use the NEA app to plan ahead. They have a three-hour weather forecast that I find reliable.

    ReplyDelete