Sunday, April 20, 2014

What's Your Ride?

My first ride was on a borrowed bicycle from a friend. It was a beautiful white Raleigh mv7. I took an immediate liking to its curves and the comfort the ride brought.

 
So when my friends were deciding on buying me a bicycle as a gift, they knew what to buy for me. A silver Raleigh mv8.

 
My mv8 accompanied through many rides. It is a budget mini-velo which comes with quick wheel release. In other words, the wheels can be released for easy transportation in a car boot, if you do not have a car rack. So my mv8 and 1 kid's bike fit nicely into my car boot.
 
 
But my quest for speed made me looked for something else. This time I was deciding between a foldable bike, otherwise known as a "foldie", or a road bike, also known as a "roadie". I weighed the pros and cons and my needs. As I was preparing for my first triathlon, I decided on a road bike. With the limited budget I had, I bought a Polyon Helios C4.0 from Rodalink. (Will introduce my C4.0 upgrades and share why I chose to buy from Rodalink in my future post)

 
There many different types of bicycles and many different types of people with different biking needs. Some people like tricks, some like races, and some like speed control. You will need to take into account your own preferences when choosing the right bicycle for yourself. 
 
These are my top 3:
 
1) Your Intended Usage
 
If you don't intend to ride on unpaved trails, a road bike will be more efficient. But a foldie will be more comfortable or practical for casual or practical riders. Evaluate what will you most likely use the bike for.
 
Some common bikes you will find in your local bike shops.
 
Road Bikes - Fine frame, thin tires, drop of flat handle bars. Designed for speed and meant for use on surfaces like paved streets.
Mountain Bikes - Comfortable to sit on, generally cheaper than road bikes. Its lack of gears makes climbing hills a challenge.
Hybrid Bikes - A cross between a road and a mountain bike. Generally more comfortable and stable than a road bike but not as fast.
Electric Bikes - Good for people who do not want to arrive sweaty or out of breath. Do note that Singapore PCN (Park Connectors Network) do not allow motorised vehicles.
Foldable Bikes - Fantastic for storing away. Easy to maneuver on the train, buses or to store away in your car boot.
 
2) What's Your Budget
 
Bicycles vary widely in quality, size, shape and form, so having a budget will help narrow your search.
- For e.g., the price of a foldie ranges from < $100 to close to $3,000.
- A beginner roadie can starts from < $1000 to tens of thousands...
 
Last but not least....
 
3) Your Fitness
 
Body shape, size and and your overall health may affect the type of bicycle that is best suited for you. Do visit your local bike shops to have a better feel of what you are looking for. Places like Midview City or along Upper East Coast house a clusters of bicycle shops. Take your time to "see see look look". Test ride on them to have a feel of what suits you best.
 
And if you do not mind owning something pre-loved, visit local website, Togoparts, where you can find everything relating to bicycles and cycling. Browse over thousands of used and new bicycles in the Marketplace.
 
Happy Shopping!

1 comment:

  1. Do you need to collapse your back seat to fit in mini velo?

    ReplyDelete