Sunday, May 11, 2014

TYR TRI-Factor Swim 2014

TRI-Factor Series was founded in 2009 that sets a progressive platform which aims to help sporting enthusiast to complete their first triathlon. It is a 4-leg series of sporting event that starts with a mass swimming event – TRI-Factor Swim, followed by a mass cycling event – TRI-Factor Bike and mass run – TRI-Factor Run, ending with a finale TRI-Factor Triathlon.

As I won the race slot from a Facebook contest held by SwimBikeRun magazine, I did not have the choice of which category to sign up for. Which was a blessing because it "pushed" me to try out the Sprint category. I had to swim 1.5km; equivalent to 30 laps in an Olympic-sized pool.

Of the 4 races, 1.5km swim was my greatest challenge.
1) Open water swim
2) To prepare myself for the swim, I've only tried swimming 30 laps in the pool three times
3) Worse of all, I was suffering from a neck muscle strain

1 week before the race, I was trying a new "toy"; the hand paddle. I read that it helps to improve stroke technique while building arm strength. Its unique shape improves water feel and distributes pressure evenly for reduced shoulder stress.


However, instead of reducing shoulder stress, I ended up pulling a muscle instead :( I visited my usual TCM for muscle relief massage. I was told to rest. I tried swimming a day before the race. I could still feel a slight strain; but I managed to swim 15 laps on breaststroke.


The race was held at Sentosa, Tanjong Beach. On normal non-race days, it was a favourite hangouts for dudes and volleyball gals with washboard abs... Last Sunday, Mother's Day, was my first time at the beach.



Met some friends at the race
 

I was the last few to come back from my wave... But I was a FINISHER :) Exclusive from this year’s series onwards, individual event medals will be awarded for finishers. The four individual series event medals form part of a big puzzle medal composition.


Last month, TRI-Factor announced that they were partnering with QUICKSPEED, their Official Cycling Jersey! Full Series Finishers (All 4 Events) will receive an Exclusive Series Finisher Cycling Jersey and an invitation to a Series Finisher only event after... the Series!

 
Kudos to TRI-Factor for seeking to better the events :)
 

1 down; 3 more to go.... Next up....40km bike in June :)

No comments:

Post a Comment